jeudi 30 novembre 2017

DBA Gallic army: first step of restoration

I explained in the previous post that I wanted to restore and add some improvements to my old DBA Gallic army, here you are the first step.

The test figure is a heavy rider. There was no light nor shadow in the original paint, so I began to darken the mini with washes (red for the flesh, brown everywhere else), then lighten with several layers. I also painted some details that I had forgotten, such as the umbo on the shield. Same process for the horse.

The two pictures below allow us to compare before and after.



This is another view of the same rider, which makes me realize that I have some mistakes to correct. Anyway, there is more contrast now, so I think it is an improvement.



I also modified a Light Infantry (Psiloi) element: the flesh has been redone on both minis, I've added some light on the trousers, and the base has been repaired.

the guy on the right had the flesh of a zombie !!

I could have given them another javelin in the left hand

Even better than the rider in my eye. What do you think ?

To be continued :)

25 commentaires:

  1. I agree that your restorations are looking good.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Jonathan, you're the faster websurfer west of the Pecos ! Thank you.

      Supprimer
  2. The difference is clear. The figures look much better afterwards.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. tu leur a redonné vie ! C'est particulièrement frappant sur le fantassin de droite...

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci. Oui ça vaut le coup, c'est comme si je peignais des figurines dont les couleurs de base sont déjà appliquée. Au début je ne pensais refaire que celui de droite, mais tant que j'y étais j'ai fait les deux en même temps.

      Supprimer
  4. Great work so far Phil... looking forward to the full restoration.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks, Tony, I'm trying not to engage in too many other projects :)

      Supprimer
  5. Wow nice restorarion!! Result is quite noticeable, good work!
    Sugestión-maybe you can try citadel "reikland flesh" Wash for skin instead of red? Result looks quite human and with a thin layer you dont even need to enlight sometimes..
    Now go on for the Revell,they need urgent action!! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Sceavus, thanks for the comment and the tip! When I write "red wash", I mean "Reikland Flesh", but I need to add some highlight to get enough contrast.
      Concerning the Revell... I will finish the bases, I don't know if I will do more.

      Supprimer
    2. Haha so actually doing the same thing. You aré right, usually highlight is still needed

      Supprimer
    3. Yes, the contrast must be strong, because these minis are small and dedicated to wargame - tabletop minis.

      Supprimer
  6. Très réussis, bases et peinture!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. I agree with the comments above, they look very good indeed.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. hi mein freund
    liebe die hautöne von deinen figuren die sind einsame spitze
    auch deine bemalungen der figuren sind immer wieder top
    sehe mir sehr gern deine figuren an
    mfg

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Danke vielmals Guido. Entschuldigung, aber ich verstehe nicht den letzten Satz: "sehe mir sehr deinen figuren an mfg". Was meint "mfg" ?

      Supprimer
    2. Ich glaube: MIT freundlichen Grüssen (yours sincerely) :)

      Supprimer
    3. Ich glaube dass du richtig bist, Sceavus ! Gracias :)

      Supprimer
  9. The effect is clearly noticeable. Looks much better.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. For the Zvezda DRAGOONS OF PETER I. THE GREAT look here
    https://www.linear-a.de/shop-figuren/plastikfiguren/zvezda/

    RépondreSupprimer