dimanche 20 janvier 2019

A few more Goblins

In the previous post introducing a Goblin drummer as the musician of the month, I wrote that I was also painting other Goblins from the same set. I could spend some time today to finish 3 of them, so that I could take pictures and show them as reinforcement for the lonely drummer.

Here they are:


To tell the truth, I was not very happy with the drummer. Remember, I wanted to paint a very pale skin for this underground dweller, but there was a lack of contrast in the result - the skin looked the same everywhere - too plain, too clean.

So for the next Goblins, I decided to add a layer of watery white, with only a little bit of red - and I painted that layer on the drummer too. I also used yellow and blue washes in some places on the skin to simulate skin disorders. And last but not least, I painted some dirt on their legs, arms and bellies.

Some close-ups to see the result:



I think that this one might represent a halfling, with another color scheme




These minis were an excuse to paint some rusty weapons - once again, I wanted to go a bit further than usual, and added some orange highlights to the rusty parts.

Maybe you would be interested in a size comparison with other minis ?

First picture: Goblins and Orcs, same manufacturer (Dark Alliance):


They are approximately the same size - the Goblins look much uglier, is it the figures or the painting? :D

Second picture: Goblins from two different manufacturers (Dark Alliance and Caesar):


The Caesar are much smaller. In my eye, they really look like Imps rather than Goblins. And the color scheme I chose in not that interesting, I should find another.

As a conclusion, I would like to list what I've learnt with these minis:
- a very pale skin with a lot of white is possible, but you need contrast and splatters of color in some places - it is a bit boring without
- the rust can be very orange
- I like monsters

That's all folks!

27 commentaires:

  1. Beautiful painting on these little terrors Phil. I must say I am a little disappointed that they are the same size as the dark alliance orcs, sort of means they will be hard to use together. The goblins may have to replace my orcs as I like them a little more. I suppose they could be savage orcs for 1/72 warhammer?.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. You should not be disappointed. Remember that in Tolkien's books, Orc and Goblin are synonyms. And yes, some of the Dark Alliance Goblins would be very good savage Orcs, especially the archers and other shooters from set 1 - I had the same idea :)

      Supprimer
    2. I had same feelings sprinks.. I had to accept also those Tolkienist reasons :)
      I will think also on savage Orcs (Caesar brutes!) and include these "savage goblins", bigger than other smaller goblins and even bigger than other "lesser" redbox Orcs hehe


      Supprimer
  2. Thanks Raiki! Yes, good idea... it might be a bit difficult to represent the other characters with 1/72 minis !

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. More beautiful work! Love the skin colour!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. herrlicher hautton wie gemacht für die figuren
    was hast du benutzt für farben

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Danke Guido! Um die Haut zu farben habe ich nur Weiss, Rote Tinte, und ein bisschen Gelbe TInte une Blaue TInte benutzt.

      Supprimer
  5. Awesome work. Those are some pretty sweet skin tones you achieved there.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks! "Pretty sweet" might not be the terms that I would think of, but thank you anyway :D

      Supprimer
    2. I've been in NZ too long haha. Kiwis always talk about things being "sweet as" or "pretty sweet" when they mean cool and awesome.

      Supprimer
    3. Thanks for the english/kiwi translation :D

      Supprimer
  6. Lovely looking figures! You've captured the look perfectly

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Great "pale cave" goblins, Phil,
    I like the rust effect however.. this is how rusted metal look..orange! What I make is to place orange In central dark, not sharp areas and dry brush bright metal in sharp and edges (where the rust goes away because of using)
    Maybe I paint also some during this week.. Orxtoberfest will come and we must be ready

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. That's exactly what I did for the rust, the metal is visible at the edge of the blades.
    Oh I would really like to see your version of these nasty little things soon :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Salut Phil, toi aussi tu n'as plus le temps de te mettre aux pinceaux ? ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Salut Chariobaude. C'est plus le manque d'envie que de temps en fait.
      Un blog, comme plein d'autres choses, finit par devenir une routine... et moi j'ai besoin que ça change :)

      Supprimer
    2. Je comprends ! :-)
      Mets-toi à la conception 3D, c'est assez génial (mais long !):
      https://comitatusgaulois.wordpress.com/2019/07/14/scola-scutariorum-prima/

      Supprimer