lundi 11 novembre 2019

Portuguese soldiers of the Peninsular war

Probably because winter is coming, I need to paint some figures that remind me of the sun of south Europe. The Spanish guerilla leader was a first step into the Peninsula war, so I searched in my old boxes for other figures related to that conflict. I could find old Qualitycast metal figures I bought together with my Spanish guerillero: other guerilleros (I have only 4, not a lot), enough British line to represent a battalion, and a few Portuguese soldiers, 8 line and a dozen Caçadores. The line soldiers had the stovepipe shako, so they were ok after 1811, and the Caçadores had the Barretina cap, so early soldiers. I wanted to paint late Caçadores, so I converted some British soldiers of the 95th just by removing the cords of the shako.

Here you are the result:



Three of them are plastic soldiers from the Revell 95th regiment set, whereas the 2nd trooper from the left is a metal figure by Kennington. These troopers belong to the 6th regiment of Caçadores. Not sure of the color of the plume, I have to keep on researching.

The same figures with two pre-1811 Caçadores by Qualitycast:


Close-up shot of the Qualitycast figures: troopers of the 5th regiment (Campomayor).


The three first line soldiers were also painted this week-end (Qualitycast figures). They belong to the 7th regiment (Setubal).


And a general view of the troops so far:

What do you think of my (very) little conversion, is it accurate ? And if you have the answer for the plume color, I would be glad to read it :)


15 commentaires:

  1. Nice! Cacadores had green plume. Atiradores had black plume.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for the info. I remember that there is one company of Atiradores and four companies of Caçadores in a regiment, correct ?

      Supprimer
  2. Réponses
    1. Ah rigolo comme formulation :) C'est peut-être ce que se disent tout ceux qui font des reconstitutions.

      Supprimer
  3. Quality cast and quality painting too!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you very much! The painting is easier with this sort of figure.

      Supprimer
  4. Nice looking minis and great paint job and I see you already got your answer on the plume. I did a similar thing a while back, converting HaT British to Caçadores.
    Portuguese are hard to find in 1/72! Hagen does a nice range but they are a bit tall for Portuguese.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you very much Bill. Your own Caçadores were a real source of inspiration, I decided to paint these minis after seeing your regiment on your blog, so impressive!

      Supprimer
  5. These look great, the poses are nice too.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Awesome work. Really love the 7th regiment. Although I guess I do have quite the soft spot for blue and white uniforms.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Gowan. Blue and White ? You should paint some French Napoleonics :)

      Supprimer
  7. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer