dimanche 26 avril 2020

Maya warriors

As promised yesterday, I've begun to paint some more Mayas. Yes, this time I've painted something historical that was already on my desk, and in 1/72!

Let's have a look:



You've already seen the slingers on this blog, which means that only the two lancers have been painted today - they were on yesterday's last picture.

Let's show more pictures of these men:





It's not that easy to paint Mayas from the Classical period (250 AD to 900 AD). First of all, there is not a lot of documentation on the web, and if you appreciate to work with original sources (as I do), you arrive very quickly to the reproductions of the Bonampak fresco, such as these:





This one is a reproduction
These walls were painted in 790 AD. They represent court scenes, and a ritual celebration for victory in battle. We can see mainly nobles, prisoners, and warriors - but should we suppose that they wear special ritual outfits ? Anyway, we see that the clothes are mainly white, yellow, red, sometimes green or black. Most feathers are green, but you can find many colorful birds in the tropical forest, so I assume that red, white and black feathers are rather common, and blue feathers are also accurate.

Many nobles also wear leopard skin, which I will paint later - remember, I'm starting again, so easy painting first :)

Another typical feature of these warriors are the stone necklaces, and probably gold for the richest among them.

A few more pictures of the figures:




Hope you like them :)

25 commentaires:

  1. Outstanding! Your skin tones are always so rich.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Really excellent painting !
    I seem to be missing your posts recently..maybe the 1/72nd world is more active than I thought and your posts get shoved too quickly down my 1/72nd blog roll.
    Due to not seeing your blog showing I thought you had stopped so I´m happy your still around :-)
    PS.. Hatshepjuju is very good as well..has a good teacher I think

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Paul, thank you for your comment. I've been away from the minis world for some months (a lot of work, and other hobbies, including music), so you didn't miss a lot of things. And I will transmit your appreciation to Hatshepjuju :)

      Supprimer
  3. Réponses
    1. Thank you. I need to go further in the research, because I've realized I knew so little about Mayas (compared to Asteks, for example).

      Supprimer
  4. Very beaitiful Phil, these figures always seemed to me some kind of difficult challenge: american Skin tones plus jaguar fur and colourful feathers... Well done!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Sceavus. Yes, they're not so easy, lots of details, and at least 8 or 9 different colors, even on the simple warriors.

      Supprimer
  5. Amazing work! I second the comment on the skin tones.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you very much! The skin tone is not very difficult to get, but I need to note which colors I used, so I should write a step by step tutorial very soon.

      Supprimer
  6. De magnifiques guerriers, et des fresques très impressionnantes...Un grand post!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci beaucoup! Je me sens comme un un historien en herbe :)

      Supprimer
  7. A wonderful work on your Mayas. They look fantastic.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Awesome mayas, sir! Do you paint them for some special rules system or just for your own fun?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Strategist! I paint mainly for pleasure, but I should base them when finished for DBA, and AdG (l'Art de la Guerre, a french ruleset with armies between DBA and DBM in size), same bases.

      Supprimer
    2. Do you like this system? Its looks like too easy, but of course, bery cheap - only 12 units per side and game is ready to play.

      Supprimer
    3. DBA ? Not highly realistic but very effective to play small, fast battles with not too many figures. But I prefer AdG - something between DBA and DBM.

      Supprimer
  9. Hi. Great art. Fantastic job. Can you please tell me, where can I buy maya figures like this? It doesn't matter to me, if the figures were already painted or not... Thanks for your help! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi, welcome here and thank you for your message. These figures are 1/72 Mayas by Caesar. There are several online sellers all around the world, you can find a list here: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Links.aspx#Sellers.
      Hope it helps :)

      Supprimer
    2. Oh, and I forgot to tell you that the figures are sold unpainted.

      Supprimer