mercredi 12 août 2020

Kinkeshi Figures

Hello everyone! It's been a while since last post, and this one will be very far from my usual painting subjects - read it as a holiday post :)

Have you ever heard of Kinkeshi Figures ? Or maybe M.U.S.C.L.E. Figures in the US ?

"Kinkeshi" stands for Kinnikuman Keshigomu, which means Kinnikuman Erasers. This range of collectable toys are erasers, which looks popular in Japan. The Keshi figures usually represent Manga or Anime characters. Here, Kinnikuman is the hero of a manga series written by Yoshinori Nakai and Takashi Shimada, originally published between 1979 and 1987. An anime was also created for the Japanese TV.

Kinnikuman is a wrestler, so the figures range (473 figures) represent wrestlers from the manga and anime.

A subset of this range has been distributed in North America under the name of M.U.S.C.L.E., which means Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere. As far as I know, the only figures available in Europe were plastic copies sold as COSMIX in France, and Exogini in Italy.

Here you are my first painted Kinnikuman figure:


This character's name is Shishkeba Boo, a member of the Barbeque clan on planet Kinniku  - don't ask, I don't know anything on the subject, I never read the manga, nor saw the anime. And I'm absolutely not interested in wrestling either.

Below, you can see several unpainted figures from the Kinkeshi range.





Yes, some of the characters look very strange, and rather funny - the main reason why I wanted to paint them.

The other reason is that I've recently discovered this blog: Mike's Painted Miniatures

The painting of the figures is really amazing. Since they are manga or anime characters, the style may be different from the usual way for historical figures, and I wanted to try.

So that's it. I intend to paint a few more figures these days, but I keep on painting 1/72 plastic figures too :)

If you want to know more about Kinnikuman, a lot of information (and sometimes color schemes) can be found here: Kinnikuman Fandom

11 commentaires:

  1. Nice painting Philotep. Interesting creatures!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Wonderful painting Phil. I had loads of these when I was young. This really brings back memories.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you! Interesting to read that you knew these figures in the UK. It seems to be completely unknown here, in France.

      Supprimer
  3. Nice work Philotep! They have an funny look ! I like It

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. How did you prepare the miniatures for painting? I have some rubber yokai figures I was thinking about painting, but was never sure how well paint would work on them.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Well, here a temporary answer: since I am not at home these days, I don't have all I usually need, so... no preparation (except for a painful attempt to remove the mold lines), I just painted the basic colors on the mini (I use acrylic paints by GW). When I'm back home, I will use a white primer coat first.

      Supprimer
    2. Hi Eric! After a few experiments, I can say that the primer spray is a very BAD idea on rubber figures - they remain sticky for life (at least 2 years now from the day I painted the first). Just use acrylic paint from the tube as a primer will give you a much better result.

      Supprimer
  5. These guys were great! I used to have a ton of them. I had the wrestling ring but my preferred match was the "oatmeal bowl." :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Hi BaldingNinja, thank you for passing by, and sorry for the delay of my answer. Yes these figs are really funny, not sure I would have appreciated them as a kid, I was much more in historical figs.

    RépondreSupprimer