samedi 9 janvier 2021

Japanese bridge

Hello, Happy New Year (it's never too late) !

The beginning of the year is the perfect moment to:

- have a look at the previous year, and write a summary of what was achieved, and what wasn't

- make plans for the year to come

You know what ? I have no desire to develop any of these items - I would have the feeling to be at work and to be compelled to write the annual review and the planned workload. And since this blog is about a hobby, I decided to have NO plan and to paint whatever I like... as usual :D

So, the year will begin with something different: a new civilization, and improved scenery.

Today, we have a look at a small Japanese bridge.


I have been deeply interested in Japan for years, and I have been lucky enough to visit some parts of Honshu (the main island), particularly the Tokyo and Kyoto areas. And since I am also interested in History, I appreciated to visit castles, temples and traditional houses, and also the wonderful gardens in which you can sometimes see some typical curved bridges such as this one:


The wooden Japanese bridges are often painted vermilion red, like the tori, because that colour indicates a passage between the world of the Humans and the world of the Gods.

Hence the color of my bridge, a mix of red and orange.

On this bridge, we can see 4 warrior monks standing their ground against invisible enemies (Redbox figures).

I realised, after writing this post, that my inspiration obviously came from Japanese woodblock prints. I'm a big fan of ukiyo-e, particularly the Edo period, and among all, my favourite artist is Kuniyoshi.

 Here you are a couple of prints that he designed:

Kuniyoshi 1839 Biography of Yoshitsune - Gojo bridge

Kuniyoshi 1839-41Yoshitsune fighting Benkei on Gojo bridge

The triptych and the diptych have the same subject: they represent Yoshitsune, a young boy and future famous samurai et fight with Benkei, a Sohei (warrior monk) who will become his most faithful ally.
 

Let's consider now the technical side of today's pictures. It's good to have a small bridge, but you also need a river if you want to take decent pictures!  Therefore, I had to dig in a plate of polystyrene, add some sand, paint, then add some flocking, and paint again... 3 days work for just  few pictures! Now you know why I haven't posted anything since Christmas :)


I hope you like the result :)

See you soon.

Edit 10/01/2020:

To answer a question asked by Eric, The bridge comes from a kit by Sarissa Precision Ltd. They have a very interesting range of 20mm buildings, but it would be very nice if they decided to adapt their whole 28mm range to 20mm :)

And I also added some woodblock prints reproductions above.


11 commentaires:

  1. Réponses
    1. Thank you :) Not engineer enough to build it from scratch, but I'm considering the question.

      Supprimer
  2. Very nice! Is that the Sarissa MDF kit?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Eric. Yes, exactly! And I should add this info in the post, because their range is interesting, affordable, but much larger in 28mm than in 20mm, a pity :) And that very bridge is now out of stock...
      I asked them if they planned to offer more 20mm buildings, but I received no answer. I might try again one of the days :)

      Supprimer
  3. Magnifique et tellement immersif...Bravo!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci Phil. Ce ne devrait être que le début puisque j'ai aussi quelques bâtiments à monter et à peindre dans la même gamme... je dois aussi apprendre à fabriquer des cerisiers en fleurs, à peindre quelques femmes en kimono (bon, je n'en ai qu'une au 1/72e) et je pourrai rendre la scène nettement plus bucolique.

      Supprimer