samedi 14 octobre 2023

Pigs at Risk!!

 After the summer hiatus (no new post since July, but a lot of painting as you'll see in the future), something new at last, and a bit different from my usual warbands.

Thanks to fellow forumers at Benno's, I've recently discovered a MDF buildings manufacturer called Blotz, with an interesting 20mm range - which is rather rare since I only new one so far. Among other things, They propose a Dark Age houses series, which should be great with Viking, medieval or even Fantasy figures. 

I assembled and painted the first buildings a few weeks ago. Then I searched my figures collection and found a few peasants, farm animals and medieval soldiers, so that today, I can show you the last Philotep's production, in Mini-o-rama: 


 

Let's start with the beginning... A long time ago, in a small village somewhere in Europe, lived a poor farmer with his wife. They had two grown-up sons, almost men, a precious manpower for the farm's work. They lived all together in a tiny but nice thatched house, and were fortunate enough to owe a few pigs.

One morning, they were alerted by the unusal noise of the pigs. - What's happening ? said one boy to the other - Let's have a look, answered the other. They went out in the courtyard to discover that some brigands were just robbing the pigs! And the men looked dangerous - probably some mercenaries looking for food.


 Too bad their dog had just died, he would have warned them earlier.

(technical comment: the truth is that I have not painted any dog figure yet, I will put one on my todo list, I promise)

- Dad, dad, help! shouted the younger boy, they're trying to get into the storehouse, I won't be able to defend it alone!

Fortunately, the farmer was working in a field near the house, and he was back very soon, ready to engage the looters himself.

 

The mercenaries were fierce, but the farmer much stronger, and his sons courageous. Step by step, the looters were losing ground. Taking benefit of the thieves' distraction, the stolen pig turned back and run straight into its pig pen. At this sight, the armed men lost their motivation and started to retreat, not without insulting the farmers and the pigs.

- They might return, said the farmer's wife, more of them, hungry and dangerous. But for today, I am very proud of you all.

And so we leave the whole family in their small farm, in a happy end this time.

Will the mercenaries return ? How many of them ? Will there still be some pigs, or will they have been all eaten ? And what about the dog ?

You will find answers to all this questions and many more one day in the next episode: The pigs at risk 2!! (or not).

Oh, credits:

- farmers by Strelets, Valdemar and Zvezda

- farmer's wife by Hät

- looters by Orion, Strelets and Accurate

- pigs by Pegasus

- buildings by Blotz

All pigs used in this story have not been harmed. You may have noticed that I didn't paint them pink - not because they are dirty, but because the actual pink pigs that we see today are the result of crossings between european and asian pigs that started during the 18th century. The medieval pigs were probably darker, grey brown or black (source: Michel Pastoureau in Libération, 2018).

10 commentaires:

  1. Awesome AAR. Well written. Beautifully painted figures. We want more!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thank you very much Umpapa, very kind of you! Now That I've painted my first Dark Age buildings, I realize that there is a lack of civilian figures in 1/72, particularly for the medieval period. I will have a look at some resin or metal figures, I should find what I'm looking for.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Ces cochons sont particulièrement gras , je comprends qu'ils suscitent la convoitise ! Beau travail ! (pas de cochon! ;o) )

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci du commentaire. Je suis content que ces cochons ne passent pas inaperçus :)

      Supprimer
  4. I like those pigs! Everything looks great!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Lovely work, as usual. This would make a fine skirmish campaign, starting with the raid on the farm and perhaps ending with a confrontation at the village. I love your work and look forward to seeing more of it.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hello Mark, thank you very much for your comment. That's exactly what I thought when preparing this post, I need to try a series of skirmishes in a small campaign. Most of my figures are painted to fill the rank of armies for DBA or l'Art de la Guerre - meaning several figures glued together in a rectangular base. I should keep a few of them on individual bases so that they can be used for large wargames and skirmishes.

      Supprimer
  6. Wonderfull story and also well painted buildings and figures. And the pigs of course. Looking forward to the next episode.
    Greetings
    Peter

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Peter! Mmh, I need to go back to the painting desk very soon :)

      Supprimer