vendredi 8 mai 2020

Late Crusader Army complete

Good morning everyone!

Today is one of the rare moments in this hobby when I can say that an army is finished. It's been a long work once again, mainly because I didn't stay focused on the same subject very long, but here you are, my Late Crusader army for DBA and L'Art de la Guerre.


 This army list represents Crusaders from the end of the 12th century to the very beginning of the 14th. it's the list you need when you want to paint Templars, and that's what I wanted :)

Please note that I didn't follow any official army list, I built a troop with the figures I had, and most important, the figures I wished to paint.

Though not based, the figures can be seen as 13 elements. Let's have a look at each element, starting with the most vulnerable.


  • Maronite and Syrian archers - 2 elements

Left to right: 2 Hät figures (El Cid Andalusian infantry), 1 Italeri (Saracens), 1 Orion (Byzantine infantry 10th-13th)

These archers have already been photographed in 2018, you can find the related post here.
They will be used as light infantry with bows. You will notice that one of the previous archers has been replace by a new one on the far right of the picture - I needed another man with a composite bow instead of an ordinary bow (in case you're worrying, no, the previous archer has not been deleted, he will be in use in another unit some day :)).

  • Crossbowmen - 1 element

Left to right: Zvezda (Livonian Knights with head swap), Italeri (Crusaders) with head swap, Accurate (HYW English) and Zvezda (Livonian)

To say the truth, I need at least two elements, but I can't find my Strelets Medevial crossbowmen set in the cellar, maybe I've never bought it! This unit was first designed to be part of a Teutonic knights army, but that project was delayed, so...

  • Templar Foot Sergeants - 3 elements
All Strelets (Military Order Warriors)
3 elements of heavy foot soldiers, painted as Templar sergeants. Most of them have a dark grey coat of arms, but not all, I wanted them not to be too uniformed. The rectangular shields looked strange to my eyes, I couldn't find any illustration with that sort of weapon, so I cut them to have triangular forms. 4 of them have already been displayed here.

  •  Turcopoles - 1 element
Strelets figures (Turcopoles)
The Turcopoles were light cavalry equipped mainly with bows - one element needed.

  •  Bedouin Light Horse - 1 element

Hät figures (Andalusian Light Cavalry)
 The other Auxiliary cavalry unit is composed of Bedouins. I chose to represent them without bows this time.

  •  Templar Knights - 2 elements
Italeri figures (Templars)
 The Templar knights form the bulk of my Crusader army, so I painted 2 units of Templar Knights, and I wish to add more in the future - every medieval wargamer wants to have as many knights as possible.+Some of them were painted as early as 2017, see here, in a fight against Ghulams.

Regarding accuracy, the armor of these men, particularly the helmets, are a mix of 12th and 13th century fashion - let's say that I have an early 13th century band of knights, some of them being conservative. So I have an early Late Crusader army :)

  • Hospitaler Knights - 1 element

Some more Italeri knights
When you're a bit fed up with white knights, why don't you try to paint some black? That's the magic of the military orders. Not that easy to paint, and the picture above doesn't show much. I chose black and not red, because the helmets and kite shields refer to the early period.

  • Crusader knights - 1 element

Italeri figures (Crusaders)
 All knights were far from all being military order knights, and it's good to use some color when you don't want to paint them white, nor black.

Now that makes 12 elements. I also wanted a command element

  • General

Left to right: Hät (El Cid Spanish command), Valdemar, Hät (El Cid Spanish command)
 To identify these guys as a General, I needed an impressive commander (probably reading prayers, which must not be very easy on a battlefield), a holy man (yes the others are holy too, and yes, a Franciscan among Templars is probably a bit strange, but it was cool to paint) and a banner - Red cross on white (croix de gueules sur champ d'argent) is probably a cliché but I think it works well.

A few more (messy) pictures:


Hope it was worth the wait :)

18 commentaires:

  1. Réponses
    1. Merci beaucoup! Bon j'ai triché, il me reste évidemment les socles à faire, mais j'aime pas çaaaaa...

      Supprimer
  2. Splendid minis! Also I can see here the priest from the HaT "El Cid Command". Really good set not only for Reconquista, but the First Crusaders as well!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you! That's right, I couldn't miss this emblematic mini for this army.

      Supprimer
  3. Magnifique! J'aime beaucoup les arbalétriers...

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Merci beaucoup! Ceux-là ont été peints il y a probablement 10 ans, avant que je n'utilise des lavis pour augmenter le contraste (et la cadence).

      Supprimer
  4. Really nice looking army you have there Phil. They are great. I have quite a few of the crossbow men spare if you want some?.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Sprinks, thank you for your comment. And yes, I am interested in some crossbowmen, 8 figures would be perfect (2 more elements). What can I propose you in exchange ?

      Supprimer
    2. No problem at all sir, if you email me at sprinklesisdead@gmail.co.uk with your address I will get them sent out. Anything else you need?

      Supprimer
  5. Wooow we Saw the starting of this great army loong time ago!!!! Congratulations, thank you for sharing!!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Excellent and colorfull painted army Phil!

    And not yet painted mummies from me. I have to buy one set one day. :-D

    Greetings
    Peter

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Peter. Yes, this world is missing your Mummies :-D

      Supprimer