dimanche 19 décembre 2021

Davy Jones

 My pirate crew has a leader, at last! Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you the fierce captain of the well known ghost ship, the Flying Dutchman: Davy Jones himself!

This figure comes from one of the two 1/72 sets made by Mars to represent the characters of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie series, and it is one of the best sculpted ones, in my opinion.

Regarding the painting, two things are worth mentioning:

- the weathering of the clothes must give the idea that the pirate spends most of his time under water, hence I had to paint some small shells and and some dark green to represent seaweed

- the tentacles covering the face of Davy Jones are pale yellow (almost ivory) with some traces of blue and purple to add some contrast


Among the crew, the figure of Davy Jones catches the eye, as expected of an unchallenged captain.


Hope you're frightened :D

16 commentaires:

  1. Wonderfull painted figure Phil! Good to see you back in action!

    Greetings
    Peter

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Peter, thank you for your comment. I wasn't sure to "come back to the hobby" again, but yesterday, I woke up thinking that I should finish a few things before closing. Here we are.

      Supprimer
    2. What do you mean by "Closing" ?

      Supprimer
    3. Hi Paul, it's been a while... I meant 'closing this blog'. I thought I had to stop painting in order to find time for other things. Today I'm not so sure.

      Supprimer
    4. I´m also been very distracted from painting, too many other things in real life that have a higher priority.
      I´m not sure when I will come back to the hobby..I have had lots of ideas but real life gets in the way...I´m still around :-)

      Supprimer
  2. Beautiful work as usual! They look like they're ready to sail out to a mysterious island in the Sargasso Sea...

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Eric! Ready to sail indeed, but they miss a suitable ship, any idea ?

      Supprimer
    2. There is a Flying Dutchman "3D Puzzle" from CubicFun. I've seen them for US$20-50 on Amazon. I think the expensive one comes with green LED lighting.

      Supprimer
    3. Ah ah, really funny to watch, accelerated :D
      The result seems convincing for 1/72, why not ? Except that I refuse to use Amazon, but I might find another way.
      Thanks for the advice !

      Supprimer
    4. I hear you on Amazon. I won't help them out with a direct link to the product, but I use their name as a reference so people can make their own choice if they want to look over there.

      Supprimer
  3. Very nice indeed sir. The whole crew look brilliant.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you very much. Now I should try to paint Jake Sparrow and Barbossa.

      Supprimer
  4. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. You are amazing man! Can you make some tutorials for beginners like me? Thanks!

    RépondreSupprimer